Halloween Safety Tips:
Safety is always in the back of minds for parents and grandparents this time of year. Here is a quick check list for your little trick or treater!
1. Use a light source (flashlight, glow sticks, or reflective tape) on your excursion
2. Check all candies and packaging prior to letting your little ones consume their treats
3. Always have an adult accompany the little one to prevent tricksters from ruining their evening
4. Never approach a darkened home. Most people who partipate in the festivities will keep the lights on!!
Krispy Treats – Have fun with the kids and make your favorites!
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 package (10 oz., about 40) Marshmallows
– OR –
4 cups Miniature Marshmallows
Orange food coloring
6 cups Kellogg’s® Rice Krispies® cereal
12 MILKY WAY® Brand Minis or 3 MUSKETEERS® Brand Minis
6 FUN SIZE® Bars*
Canned frosting (green)
12 small green gum drops
1. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat. Tint with orange food coloring.
2. Add KELLOGG’S RICE KRISPIES cereal. Stir until well coated.
3. Using 1/2-cup measuring cup coated with cooking spray divide warm cereal mixture into 12 portions. Using buttered hands shape each portion into pumpkin shape around one candy piece. Pipe frosting onto each for vines and attach gumdrop for stem. Best if served the same day.
MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS: In microwave-safe bowl heat butter and marshmallows on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Follow steps 2 and 3 above. Microwave cooking times may vary.
*Note: To substitute FUN SIZE® bars for the Minis, cut each FUN SIZE® bar in half.
Suggestions: Make individual balls and decorate with green stems for pumpkins, shape like bats with beady eyes of M & Ms, or make in a loaf pan with chocolate drizzled on top and add gummie worms for the EWE factor!